Convergences Myanmar Forum
March 10 | Rose Garden Hotel, Yangon, Myanmar
For the first time since its creation, Convergences is going abroad with a Forum organised in Yangon, Myanmar on March, 10th 2017!
ORIGINS OF THE PROJECT
In September 2016, the French Embassy to Myanmar actively participated in the 9th edition of the Convergences World Forum in Paris, where it co-organised a session on “The transition in Myanmar: Emerging new actors”. Mr. Olivier Richard, French Ambassador to Myanmar participated in this session, which was moderated by Charles Bonhomme, Head of the French Institute in Yangon. Along with them, spoke :
- Khin Maung Lwin, Former Director, Ministry of Health in Myanmar
- Soe Myint, President, Myanmar Journalism Institute & Founder and chief-editor, Mizzima Media
- Wai Wai Nu, Director, Women Peace Network Arakan
- Ken Tun, CEO, Parami Group
The Burmese delegation coming to Paris was very enthusiastic about the Forum, and wished to organize a similar event in Myanmar. As a result, Convergences started working on organising this Myanmar Forum with the support of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the French Embassy to Myanmar.
WHAT WAS THE CONVERGENCES MYANMAR FORUM LIKE ?
March 2017 at the Rose Garden Hotel in Yangon
professional actors representing the private, public, civil society, international development, academic and media sectors
workshops oriented towards the definition of concrete and mutli-actor solutions to address the challenges of each topic
- presentation of a concrete example (in Myanmar or in the South East Asian region)
- panel debate
- exchanges with the audience
- Definition of a solution in the Myanmar context
MAIN WORKSHOPS TOPICS
- Workshop 1: Urban planning and sustainable city
- Workshop 2: Financial Inclusion
- Workshop 3: Cooperation for sustainable development
- Workshop 4: Data for development
- Plenary session 5: Access to employment
CROSS-CUTTING DEVELOPMENT ISSUES
- Multi-actor cooperation
- Citizens’ involvement and consultation
- Gender equality
- Access to employment
- Combining economic and sustainable development
- Barriers faced by development actors
PARTNERS AND SUPPORT
To organise this forum, Convergences is being supported by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the French Embassy to Myanmar, and BRAC. Convergences also counts on the technical support of ACTED Myanmar, the French Institute, and the Representation of the French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Myanmar.